Friday, May 28, 2010

Long Quiet


So much good weather has seen me outside mowing the lawn, running, training the dog, enticing the chickens to eat slugs from my hand, and planting the garden.
Not all of it has gone smoothly though. For one, I decided to try the tomato trick of putting powdered milk in the hole when you plant. The calcium supposedly helps prevent blossom end rot. I figured, what could be the harm in trying? The harm, it appears, is that it entices my dog to dig up the tomato plants. ARG.
Further, this morning was an outright disaster. In my attempts to help the two teeny-tiny cute baby banty chicks we got from the preschool grow faster by upping the wattage of their warming light, I inadvertently baked them to death. The discovery of which was made by one of my children. Needless to say, my offspring hate me about as much as I hate myself.
However, I'm now up to 17 books read for the year which puts me between 3-4 a month. Right where I want to be. (I'm contemplating reading another one or two today to escape reality, but I have too much to do.) Recent additions are The Garden of Iden (sci-fi), Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (bookclub selection which was sheer hysterical farce), and Because of Winn-Dixie (kids' book that was genius).
As for the BFF 5K, I finished under 30 minutes. 29:23 to be exact. And I've done a moderately good job at keeping up running even after the race.
However, I slacked a bit this week and had a few nights of poor sleep (and general crankiness) as a result, so am renewing my efforts.

No comments: