Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Snowed In

It's silly, really. Tomorrow will be our 4th snowday this week. Of course the extra time with my three kids also comes at the same time as two new graphic design gigs. (Including two 6 foot tall banners for a display at a conference that has me decidedly nervous. I've never designed anything so large. The banners are not particularly intricate, but still, any mistakes will be BIG ones.) Not to mention the existing graphic design clients...

Just keep trying to check tasks off my list and  to that end, I've lifted the ban on electronics in the house. Want to play Minecraft? Go for it. Just don't ask me questions. The kids were gracious enough to put off their Chopped challenge until their dad got home... and I'd gotten through the most technical parts of the layout.

Which brings me to this... and Lent. In the past I've given up things like Facebook or alcohol, but right now, my biggest vice is "putting things off." In particular, I'm putting off my own creative writing. I just keep stalling out on various projects. So, what I'm giving up is "not writing." Stated positively, that means I will write every day. (Morning pages don't count. I've somehow managed to make a routine of three pages a day in my journal.) My Lenten commitment is to creative writing. Every day I must open the WIP play and add a few lines (or revise), type up a poem (or edit it), tinker with the novel, or write a blog post.

Even if I take the "cop out" option of blog post, I'm still writing, still honing skills, still thinking about audience, still sitting still long enough to document coherently (hopefully) what's on my mind.

So, here's a taste of what I've been working on today... It's for an organization that I designed the logo for a few years ago and I still think it's my best logo to date.  Learn more about them here.

Some version of this draft should turn into a six foot banner...

No comments: