Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Office

It is my Room of Her Own. Unfortunately, due to Christmas shopping, Christmas vacation, snow days, two hour delays, school awards programs and doctor's appointments, I don't think I've spent a morning here since the beginning of December.
I'm glad to be back.
The room itself isn't much-- maybe 10 by 10. But it's warm in winter, cool in the summer and has two windows: one facing east for the morning sun and one facing north.
Instead of a desk, which would accumulate junk, I chose a kitchen table. I'm going for Spartan: nothing to do here except write.
However, the place does have wi-fi. Which, while it's pretty crucial for a writer these days (and my ability to blog), does provide endless distractions. Today, though, I'm using my powers and the powers of wi-fi for good purpose. (No Bejeweled Blitz. Yet.)
The sad part is that I've realized I'll probably stop renting this space at the Heritage Center this summer. I just won't be able to justify it. With all the kids home for the summer and the garden and yardwork, it's unlikely that I'll use it much. And then, in the fall, once all three kids are in school, I'll have a quiet house; no sense in driving into town for a quiet space.
There are a lot of great people who have studios here: the Parkway Playhouse, the Yancey County Literacy Council, several artists, MAC Photo Studios, and we always meet here for Literary Festival planning sessions. I'll miss rubbing elbows with other folks pursuing creativity
as a major part of their lives.
But for today, I'm very glad to be here, typing away.

If anyone in the Burnsville area is looking to rent studio space, you should seriously consider The Heritage Center. It's an old dormitory that has been renovated to accommodate artists' studios on the second floor. The first floor has a few offices, a meeting room/recording studio, and some display/gallery space. Rent is very reasonable, and some of the rooms have tile floors and big laundry sinks in them for painters/potters etc. Click here to find out more.

3 comments:

Stephanie Thomas Berry said...

Britt,

KEEP your space ESPECIALLY when all your kids have gone to school! The home provides endless obligations, while having a space separate from that nurtures your creative life. Also having that work space, where you rub elbows with other creative people will nurture your working/writing life.

This is, of course, just my opinion, but regardless I hope you find many days of writing soon!

alessa said...

I second keeping your space. Out of the house of distractions. Damn the cost...it's worth it. And I envy you that space.

Anonymous said...

OMG..You're so cool..

F