A dog that is...
- more than a year old
- medium sized
- good with kids
- can handle being an only dog
- is able to keep warm outside in the winter (he/she will not come inside)
- will not kill chickens
- will run off rabbits & deer from my garden & worry the groundhogs
- can be off the leash & un-penned, but not run away
- is easily (or already) trained
- likes to play fetch
Now, I know labs are great family dogs too, but I'm worried about their "birding" instincts. And I know several chicken owners who, because labs train fairly easily, have trained their labs to leave their chickens alone.
So, the dog-searching adventure continues.