Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Writing Resolutions - Part 3

    Here it is, the crux of it all. Writing goals. It has been important for me to (attempt to) distinguish between writing as a "hobby" and writing as a "job." It's easy for me to see it as a hobby, especially since it's an occupation that doesn't pay. Yet. Or ever. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, because I'm not at all opposed to the idea... Regardless, I need to approach writing as a job. And I can start by reminding myself that writing can be a priority and other things can be put on the back burner. The deadlines imposed by writing for the theatre certainly helped, but I am now in the position where I need to discipline myself.
When blog-trolling for other writers' resolutions, one blogger said she didn't like Resolutions because it just led to inevitable failure and why highlight that? Another blogger countered she wanted to "fail more" because that meant she was trying more. I also happen to know there's a lit journal out there called Fail Better. My go-all-directions at once approach to 2013 definitely falls into the second line of reasoning (if there is reason involved in creating an insane agenda).

To those ends, here are my goals for 2013:
  • Pick up my many unfinished projects and work on all of them in fits and spurts. Instead of saying no to three projects to focus just on the one, I'm simply going to take turns and follow my whims. Diana Gabaldon writes this way, and while her work is not my favorite, she seems to have done pretty well. So, that means writing poems (+submitting monthly), picking up the chapter-book, flesh out and plot two play ideas, and blog.  
  • Also, while I've done Artist-Way-based morning pages for some time, I want to start using them to do more creative work instead of simply listing tasks to do, tasks accomplished, and whining.
  • In 2013, I want to become better connected in the writing/theatre world. To that end, I started a twitter account. (This was also prompted by good writing-friend Katey Shultz's post about publicity.  Oh, yes, and you're welcome to follow me. I have yet to master contributing pithy sayings though.) Because of my rural location, it is very difficult to make theatre connections--but that's what the internet is for, right? So I mean to use it. Social networks aren't just for pictures of baby animals and arguing. Although, this photo slays me. I want a pet owl so bad.  Like Pigwidgeon. 
  • I also want to start having some of my writing friends guest-blog here.  By doing that, I can help support and promote the writers I know and strengthen the writing connections I do have.  The more I can convince other people I'm a writer, the more they'll reflect it back to me and I'll believe it, become it. (I may be contacting you...)
  • Finally, as un-fun as it is, I will continue to promote my work, making contact with theatres near and far, submitting to contests, and asking artistic directors to read my scripts.  I will set aside time each week for this.
  • Read more.  Plays in particular.



So, there it is.  I'm putting it out there to be accountable.  Maybe I'll fail in front of everyone and that's OK, because what I can control is the trying and I mean to try more and accomplish more

No comments: